Galing Pook traces its beginnings in 1993 when the first Gantimpalang Panglingkod Pook was held. The Awards Program was a joint initiative of the Local Government Academy–Department of the Interior and Local Government, the Ford Foundation, and other individual advocates of good governance from the academe, civil society and the government.
The Asian Institute of Management administered the awards program until 2000. Earlier in 1998, the Galing Pook Foundation was formally established as a private awards-giving body to sustain the Awards program.
In its 25 years of existence, Galing Pook has become a leading resource institution continuously promoting innovation and excellence in local governance. It proactively searches and recognizes best local government practices and facilitates their adoption in more communities in the country.
The leading resource institution that promotes innovation, sustainability, citizen empowerment and excellence in local governance
- Promote excellence in local governance through recognition, sharing of information and support of efforts to replicate best practices at the local level
- Encourage partnership among civil society organizations, private sector, and government agencies at the local, national and global levels to improve the quality of life
- Search, select, and recognize outstanding programs of local government units
- Help in the capacity building of local government units
- Facilitate the replication of winning programs
- Act as resource institution on innovative local government programs
- Primacy of local governance for the promotion of sustainable development
- Passion, integrity, competence, transparency and accountability
- Willingness to learn and to share learning to others
- Premium on innovation
Board of Trustees
Rafael Coscolluela, Chairperson. Former Governor, Negros Occidental
Miguel Rene Dominguez, Vice-Chairperson. Former Governor, Sarangani
Ronald Mendoza,Corporate Secretary. Dean, Ateneo School of Government
Victor Gerardo Bulatao, Treasurer. Chairman, LANDBANK Countryside Development Foundation, Inc.
Marivic Belena,Trustee. Former Mayor, San Jose City, Nueva Ecija
Edna Estifania Co,Trustee. Director, UP Diliman Extension Program in Pampanga and Olongapo
Vincent Lazatin,Trustee. Executive Director, Transparency and Accountability Network
Austere Panadero,Trustee. Executive Director, Zuellig Family Foundation
Evelyn Uy, Trustee. Former Mayor, Dipolog City, Zamboanga del Norte
Eddie Dorotan,Executive Director
Adrian Adove, Program Officer
Genevive Gabion,Finance Officer
Monette Montemayor,Program Assistant
Christine Beltran,Administrative and Finance Assistant
Marwin Gotis, Administrative Assistant