The Galing Pook Foundation (GPF) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), in collaboration with the National Youth Commission (NYC), the Positive Youth Development Network (PYDN), Siklab Pilipinas, Sugpat, and Y-PEER Philippines, implemented the “Strengthening the Children and Youth in Governance (SCYPG) Project” since 2019. One of the highlights of the project is the development of Galing Kabataan initiatives which recognized youth-led programs at the pilot local government units.
As a culminating activity, GPF and its partners organized the Youth in Governance (YIG) Fair last June 11-12, 2022 at the SM Northpoint, Iloilo City. The YIG Fair showcased the youth-led programs and projects of the local youth organizations and the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Councils in the SCYPG pilot areas. This coincided with the launching of the 3rd SK Awards of the PYDN and supported by the Galing Pook Foundation.
The general objective of this event is to promote good governance to young people, empower them through inter-SK and inter-youth organization learnings, and encourage them to take part in cross-sectoral cooperation among local government units, civil society organizations (CSOs), regional government agencies, and private sector.
Specifically, the event aimed at:
• Amplifying youth-initiated and youth-led programs governance models for replication
• Encouraging the SK councils and youth organizations to develop adaptive and innovative programs that address the issues and concerns of the children and youth sectors and, if possible, the other sectors of the community as well
• Encouraging the SKs in the GPF-UNICEF pilot areas to submit their programs as entries to the 3rd Philippine Sangguniang Kabataan Awards.
• Launching the Western Visayas Youth Agenda 2022-2025 and encouraging youth organizations to take part in the One Western Visayas Youth Coalition.
• Encouraging the youth to join the Youth Hour 2022.
• Networking with regional government agencies and national organizations to garner support for Youth Hour 2022 and other events geared towards youth development.
• Launching the events of PYDN for the International Youth Day (IYD) to the media.
• Providing platform to event partners to promote their causes and programs.